So, it's the post-birthday weekend and time for an extended family birthday celebration. Mom, of course made the cake and remembered to print as Nora is extremely frustrated with not being able to read or write in cursive. It makes me chuckle. In an age when schools are cutting out handwriting skills, Nora in her typical old-fashioned way, can't wait to learn how to write in script which she will at her school. I like cursive. I often use it when I'm observing children at work because I can write quickly. I also just like the action of writing that way. It's almost always how my mother has written on the hundreds of cakes that she has made. I think that's why this one looks so strange to me. Sweet, but not the usual. As a preschool teacher, she also has nice printing!
The birthday girl decided that she might like a birthday dress made by "mo." As an aside, she's taken to calling us mo and doe. When she was younger, she called David "daddy-doh" and when she was learning to spell, she called me m-o-m. Then, it deteriorated to m-o, and finally just "mo." So, mo and doh we are... for now. Anyway, she wanted a dress. I had made her a little ensemble for Easter that was quite easy. The fabric is the last of the new ds quilts at Joann's. I was thrilled to find anything left by the time I got to Joann's. I love blue and green on Nora so I was glad that the local sewists and quilters left me a couple of coordinates to work with. It was for Easter, so I went with my go-to twirly skirt. I may branch out next year. Though, it will probably behoove me to start more than a couple of days before the holiday!
Nora looks a little funny in this photo because her tooth was hanging by a thread. It came out about 24 hours after this photo!
The shirt pattern was made from 1979's McCall's 6501. If you do make this shirt, note that it seems to run very wide. (The photo is of my unused size 1.) I used a size 4 for my nearly seven year old if that helps to give an idea of the size discrepancy. I always go with bust size as age and size numbers never seem to coincide. The bust is for 23" which should be right for Nora, but it is still a quite big I had to take in the sides a lot. It's still pretty wide, but as I mentioned, I was running a little last-minute and going with the "done is good" philosophy.
The pattern worked a little more nicely as a dress. Again, it is really tent-like but works for a twirly seven year-old. I worked hard at getting a picture of her wearing her new dress but couldn't get her to stand still! And I don't know how I could expect her to when there were cake and presents!
The fabric was part of a magnificent pile of free fabric that I blogged about here. I knew that I wanted to make Nora something green, and I had just the right amount of fabric to make her this dress while using the coordinate. The dress pattern is seriously short. Nora was take aback when I held the tissue to her. She told me exactly how long she wanted her dress -such a modest girl! I just lengthened the dress from the original hem to where she wanted it. The pockets and her headband are made out of the same fabric as the bottom of the hem. She was thrilled with her new dress. Though, maybe not as much as the cake... it was really good cake.