We finished carving our pumpkin just in time for trick-or-treating. Happily, Nora's costume was done with a couple days to spare. This is a rare occurrence for me. Projects are usually done with only seconds before they have to "perform," but I was able to get a few photos before darkness fell tonight.
I used McCall's 4547 that I found for 99¢ at JoAnn's Fabric - love those sales! I was considering some other patterns and would have preferred one with a pinafore, but I'm pretty sure that this is not the first little pioneer costume that I will make. This pattern also has a sweet chemise that has lots of nightgown potential... and pantaloons! Let's all just say "pantaloon" coz that's fun! I think Nora will need a pair of those. So, I'm not done with this pattern yet.
Eleanor picked out the fabric for the dress which really surprised me. I was looking for more color, but she insisted on this. I'm really liking it now, and it was probably the most "historic" choice at ol' Joann's.
I didn't want the bonnet to be in the same fabric, but had a hard time finding a coordinating fabric until I found this perfect little woven check. The drape really worked so it's more floppy than stiff allowing it to hang nicely in the back.
These buttons were in my stash- nice and rustic. The ribbon that I used is that cheap-o ribbon that you get for 50¢ a spool. Someday, I'll find a fabulous source of high quality ribbon.
The pattern called for eyelet at the neckline, and on the bonnet's brim, but I obviously left that off. I like it simple and I don't think the eyelet or lace would have worked well with this fabric.
Amy from Angry Chicken used the same pattern for her daughter's dress. Her photos are a great example of what the dress would look like with the eyelet and a little more color! (No, really, Nora, you're choice is great!) She lengthened the sleeves of her dress, and considering the cold wind and hail that fell while we were trick-or-treating, I'm glad I did, too!